This evidence-based approach has consistently shown positive outcomes in dealing with resistance and defensiveness. It has been successfully used with populations where resistance is prevalent, including adults and adolescents who deal with legal problems, substance abuse and mental health issues.
Motivational Interviewing provides a “tool box” of techniques and strategies which will help you to be more effective in working with clients who bring a wide range of challenges. This is a four-day training.
• Understand the basic principles and skills of Motivational Interviewing
• Experience a collaborative versus an authoritarian communication style and see how you can effectively decrease defensiveness in clients;
• Learn and practice resistance skills;
• Learn and practice directive skills that help move a client towards positive behavior change;
• Be able to elicit commitment language from a client that is correlated to positive outcomes;
• Explore proven implementation strategies that help improve your Motivational Interviewing skills in the field.
Presenter: Avani G. Dilger, MEd, MA, LPC, BC-DMT, CAS Avani specializes in substance abuse prevention and treatment with adults, teens and their families. She is the founder and director of the “Natural Highs – Healthy Alternatives to Drugs & Alcohol” nonprofit program. Avani has been training professionals in in Motivational Interviewing and other evidence-based practices worldwide for over 20 years. Find out more about Avani HERE.
Eligible for 16 hours Certificate of Completion
Human Services Network of Colorado
PO Box 24788
Denver, CO 80224
©2021 Human Services Network of Colorado